Monday, December 01, 2008

This Material World is Meant for HARD LABOR




Teachings of Queen Kunti, Chapter 26:

The letter pa is for parisrama, which means “labor.” In this material world, one must work very hard to maintain oneself. In Bhagavad-Gita (3.8) it is said, sarira-yatrapi ca te na prasiddhyed akarmanah: “one cannot even maintain one’s own body without work.” Krishna never advised Arjuna, “I am your friend, and I shall do everything. You just sit down and smoke ganja.” Krishna was doing everything, but still He told Arjuna, “You must fight.” Nor did Arjuna say to Krishna, “You are my great friend. Better for You to fight and let me sit down and smoke ganja.” No, that is not Krishna consciousness. A God conscious person does not say, “God, You please do everything for me and let me smoke ganja.” Rather, a God conscious person must work for God. But even if one does not work for the sake of God, one must work, for without work one cannot even maintain one’s body. This material world, therefore, is meant for parisrama, hard labor.

No comments: